Thursday, November 7, 2013

Vegetable Quinoa Soup (Competition Prep Notes Included!)

This soup is AMAZING. It is delicious and filling. I never get sick of it. 

Competition Prep Notes: When I am prepping for a competition I add Chicken to this soup. To add the chicken, just add 1.5-2 lbs. (based on how much chicken you need per meal and how many meals you want this to be) of cubed chicken breast to the pot with the onions in the first step. I will also leave the quinoa out entirely and add the correct amount (per my diet) to each individual bowl so that I can measure everything. If your diet no longer calls for quinoa at all (sad times, I know!), I will add pre-cooked, 1 inch thick cubes of sweet potatoes. If you do this you may need extra vegetable broth since the potatoes seem to absorb a lot. 


Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced (I like a lot of garlic, so I double it)
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
32 ounces vegetable broth + 2 cups of vegetable broth - Note: Do not use the low sodium options. I have tried half low sodium/half regular and it still does not taste the same at all! 
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves - Note: These are CRUCIAL! They really make the soup.
1 teaspoon thyme
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
2 cups cooked quinoa
Salt and black pepper, to taste


Directions for Quinoa
Add 1-1.5 cups of quinoa and 2 cups of vegetable broth to a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Allow to boil uncovered for 2-4 minutes. Turn the heat to the lowest possible setting, cover, and let sit for 15 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. This is, in my opinion, the best way to make quinoa in general. You can use water instead of vegetable broth for different recipes. 

Directions for Soup
Heat the olive oil in large pot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, and mushrooms and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Now add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme, and basil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm.

After I turn off the heat I let this sit for a while to keep absorbing the flavors before I eat it. I like to make it a couple hours before I want to serve it. It is ready to eat right away, but get gets better with time :) 



See the original recipe (before my modifications) here: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/vegetable-quinoa-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment